Thursday, January 24, 2013

Books 34 and 35

Day 24:

It's been nearly a month since I decided to embark on this challenge and it has been going pretty well, 11 books ahead haha. But I have been lucky or unlucky, however you want to look at it, to not have many pressing responsibilities during this time. Now all of my friends have gone back to school, and I'm stuck at home feeling a bit aimless and longing for something that would make me feel productive. I have been applying and interviewing for jobs, and kept wondering if I would never find the right one for me. Today though, I heard back from the first place that I interviewed at almost two months ago, and if things work out I might have a little less time on my hands for reading. I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

Book 34: Ruthless Game


Author: Christine Feehan
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Pages: 376
Series: Yes, book 9 of 10
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library
Date Read: January 24, 2013

3.5 stars
This is the next book in the Ghostwalker series that I mentioned in my post yesterday. This book is about Rose and Kane, a couple who were paired together through the madman Whitney's breeding program in the hopes that they would produce a superchild due to their psychic and genetic contributions. However, Kane helped a now pregnant Rose escape from the compound and from Whitney, losing her in the process. When they are finally reunited, Rose is nearly ready to give birth and they have to fight for themselves and for their baby, to keep them from both a drug cartel that Rose was sold out to as well as from Whitney. This book continued with the team introduced in the previous book Street Game, and I really enjoyed reading more about them. It was also nice to have a couple that was firmly together the whole book, fighting for the family they had created and the family of their team members. And even though they were new parents, it was still very romantic. Most romance novels involve a separation or denial of feelings in some way, but that was not the case here and I relished the change.

Book 35: Artemis Fowl: The Last Guardian


Author: Eoin Colfer
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 328
Series: Yes, book 8 of 8
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library (but I own all of the other books in this series)
Date Read: January 24, 2013

3.5 stars
This is the final book in the Artemis Fowl series, a series that I have been reading for a long time. Speaking of a long time, it took me a long time to actually get myself to read this book. I first checked it over the summer but didn't have a chance to read it before school started again and had to check it back in unread. Then once I graduated, I checked out a large number of books that I had been wanting to read but hadn't had time to, but again I didn't read it in time and had to renew it. Now, this book and I were both under a time crunch, meaning that it had to be read in the next couple of days as there were no more options to renew. These books are the kind for me for some reason where I delay reading them but always enjoy them when I do. Opal Koboi, the evil fairy has made her last stand, orchestrating her release from prison and reanimating fairy warriors at Fowl Manor in the beginning of an end that could wipe out all human life. Her release and its consequences have put both the fairy world and the human world in utter disarray. It is up to Artemis, his trusty bodyguard Butler, and his fairy friend Captain Holly Short to figure out how to defeat her before sunup, while Foaly the brillant centaur works on the problems below in the fairy world. It was definitely an interesting conclusion to the series with the reader who has been with Artemis since the beginning really being able to see the changes he has made as a character. If you read just one of the books I think Artemis would look like a very flat character, stubborn, arrogant, and unchanging, but in this case his change is gradual but monumental. And like my favorite endings (happy endings aside) it tied back into the beginning of the series.

Hmm, time for me to snuggle in to sleep with a silly warm little dog.

xo,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment