Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Books 21 and 22

Day 15:

Well, two more books down, but I swear they keep piling up. I returned four yesterday, only to pick up three more, and then returned another today, only to pick up 5 more! It is a never ending pile, and I am just trying to work my way through it.

Book 21: The Snow Child



Author: Eowyn Ivey
Genre: Historical Fiction/Fantasy
Pages: 389
Series: No
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library
Date Read: January 15, 2013

4 stars
I found this book on Goodreads and it seemed to have some really good reviews, so I figured I would try it. It started off a little slow but really picked up so that I was flying through the book. Mabel and Jack have moved to Alaska in 1910 as a way to get away from it all. They have married for many years but have been unable to have a child. They are struggling there, but one evening they let go of their worries and make a snow child, a little girl. The next day their snow child is destroyed and the gloves, hat, and scarf are gone, and as Jack is outside he sees what he thinks is a little blond girl wearing the clothes. She comes as she pleases, has a pet fox, and stays through the winter, only to disappear during the summer and reappear the next winter. Her name is Faina. Their neighbors, the Bensons, do not believe them, having never glimpsed Faina before, but one day they show up and there she is. Garrett, their youngest son is drawn to her. But Mabel, having remembered a fairy tale from her youth about a little snow child, knows that no good can come from their snow child falling in love.


Book 22: The Thing About the Truth



Author: Lauren Barnholdt
Genre: Young Adult
Pages: 285
Series: No
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library
Date read: January 15, 2013

2 stars
I had read other books by this author (Two Way Street, which I loved), but unfortunately the high hopes I had for this book did not match up. Kelsey and Isaac have both been kicked out of their private high schools and are now starting at public school. Kelsey immediately takes a dislike to him because he is the senator's son and has had a lot of things handed to him. However, they decide to work together creating a new club for school that would combine groups of kids from their school and the local private school in order to build a sense of community. Over their course of their planning, they fall for each other. Unfortunately, both of their lies ruin the event and their relationship. You find this out in the very beginning as the book was told in before and after chapters by both Kelsey and Isaac, which was a bit confusing to me. Kelsey's lie was anticlimactic and I also felt that several of the problems presented in the book, such as parent issues and side plots were left unresolved. But my major concern with this book, was that it was so very high school. Young Adult is a varied genre because of the wide range of maturity levels but most YA fiction that I read doesn't place the emphasis on the ages, but on the story and don't seem targeted towards that younger audience. In this book the high school was central to the story. It's been a long time since I was in high school and I'm not really anxious to read about it, but I liked the author's other books. Oh well.

It's not even 1am yet and I'm already exhausted. I'm halfway through my third book but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

xo,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment