Saturday, January 19, 2013

Books 26 and 27

Day 18

Hi there! Today was great in that I got to relax and just do nothing. I decided to tackle one of my larger books today because I had the time, which is good because I have four others in the stack from the library that are 500+ pages, as well as some of my own. It is pretty easy for me to finish a 200 or 300ish page book in a couple hours, but a larger book obviously takes a little more time. I generally like to finish a book in one sitting if I possibly can. I don't think that you get as much out of the book if you end up reading it in snatches because it can become challenging to remember little details of the story. However, some people don't have the time (or the patience) to sit down and read a whole book at one time, so I always think it's better to read a little than not at all. Reading is one of the few things that I do have the patience for, whereas in most circumstances I can barely sit still and hate waiting for things.

Book 26: The Crimson Crown



Author: Cinda Williams Chima
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 598
Series: Yes, this is book 4 of 4
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library
Date Read: January 18, 2013

4 stars
Okay, so it is a little hard to describe this book considering this is the fourth and final book in the series but I will do my best. A thousand years ago, two young lovers were betrayed, Alger Waterlow to his death, and Hanalea, Queen of the Fells, to a life without love. Her descendent Raisa, the current Queen is struggling. Her mother was murdered, the Clan and the Wizards will not stop fighting, her own army turns against her, and she believes that she will never be able to marry the man she loves, Han Alister. Han meanwhile has his own problems on the Wizard council, as he tries to help Raisa and prove himself worthy of her. It's a bit more complicated obviously, but the story was intriguing and worth its lofty size. I liked the characters and found the epilogue particularly gratifying. I would definitely recommend this series, and its first book is The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima.

Book 27: The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker



Author: Leanna Renne Hieber
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 322
Series: Yes, 1 of 3
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library
Date Read: January 18, 2013

4 stars
My first book in this challenge, Darker Still, was written by this author. I enjoyed it and decided to see what else she wrote. This book is about a story of six friends brought together in the late 1800s to protect the living and to suppress ghostly power. Currently they are dealing with the demonic acts of Jack the Ripper. The group contains Josephine, the artist, Jane, the healer, Rebecca, the intuition, Michael, the heart, Elijah, the memory, and their leader Alexi, the power. Since they obtained their powers it has been prophesied that at some point a seventh member would arrive in their path seeking refuge and that they would need to know her. Alexi has always known that this seventh member would be his true love. Meanwhile, Percy Parker arrives at the school where Rebecca is headmistress and Alexi a science teacher, and connects with Alexi over tutoring sessions. They begin falling in love but Alexi struggles to convince the group that she is the seventh, when there is someone else lurking nearby who seems to fill the spot just perfectly. I was really intrigued by the premise of this book and found myself drawn into the story and each person's individual abilities. I am looking forward to the other two books in this series and hope that they too are enjoyable reads.

Now that it's actually 5:15am, it's time for me to sleep. I must be insane..goodness.

xo,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment