Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Book 15

Day 9

Hiya,

So not too much time to read today, I spent most of the day visiting family with my sister with only a little time in the morning and before bed today. I'm halfway through my second book but Emily is dragging us up early tomorrow to go do archery, goodness knows why. She just decided it randomly and that we all have to come along, so I don't want to go to bed too late.

Book 15: Pygmalion



Author: George Bernard Shaw
Genre: Classic/Plays
Pages: 119
Series: No
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library
Date Read: January 9, 2013

3 stars
So the reason I included the picture of the movie My Fair Lady, starring Audrey Hepburn, is that the movie is based off of the play Pygmalion. I had seen the movie before and enjoyed it, but had no idea that it was based off of any written work. It was relatively short, only five acts and I felt that it stayed relatively true to what I observed in the movie. Usually when I watch a movie that is based upon a book, I try to read the book first, because often times movies ruin or change lovely books. It is much easier for me to love both the book and the movie as separate entities and try not to compare them to one another. The play was about a girl named Eliza Dolittle who is an uncultured flower girl that Dr. Henry Higgins takes on as a bet that he will able to pass her off as a lady in 6 months, with lessons in English, dressing, polite conversation, and all manners of being a proper lady. The change over Eliza is remarkable. 

I've been reading a lot of classics lately because I checked out a lot of them from the library. I have a few more stacked in my to read pile which I'll try to break up with other genres, but after that I'll have a wider variety. I've been trying to read a lot of the books from there first, over my own books because there is a time limit and I have a lot checked out. I visited the library again today, and received my free mug for completing the reading challenge and spoke to a librarian that was helping me with something about my 365 books goal. She thought it sounded like a wonderful idea, and that if I were to write up some reviews or to do a top 10 favorite books once I've completed it, that they could make something and post it in the library! I thought that would be a pretty neat culmination of this challenge, considering so many books that I have read and will read have been from the library. 

xo,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment