Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Books 13 and 14

Day 8 of 365

Hi there,

Not much time to read today. My sister, Emily and I had a busy day. We went shopping, to the movies to see Silver Linings Playbook, which I loved, and the gym, where my cousin who is a personal trainer kicked my ass haha. And now I'm exhausted, laying in bed and feeling like jelly. But I did manage to finish a book I started yesterday and read another before bed.

Book 13: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest


Author: Ken Kesey
Genre: Classics
Pages: 272
Series: No
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library
Date Completed: January 8, 2013

3 stars
Okay, so let me preface this with the fact that in general, I really enjoy books dealing with mental health and hospitals. It's a peculiar thing, but I find it fascinating because it is my field and I have volunteered in a behavioral hospital. I really enjoyed the first half of the book where McMurphy begins to challenge the Big Nurse, but I hated the ending in regards to McMurphy. Neither side decisively won and I was really pulling for him. It was interesting reading about the way mental hospitals used to be, and the treatment patients were given. Regardless, McMurphy was a vehicle of change and brought down Nurse Ratched, but at his own expense.

Book 14: The Dead and Buried


Author: Kim Harrington
Genre: Young Adult/Paranormal
Pages: 304
Series: No
Purchased or borrowed: Borrowed from the library
Date Read: January 8, 2013

4 stars
I read this after I got back from the gym and before bed. I wanted something easy to read, so I didn't go for a classic or anything too complicated. This was a book about a girl named Jade who has just moved to a new town. She finds out at school that a few months ago a girl named Kayla died in the house they just moved into after a suspicious fall down the stairs. Kayla's younger brother Colby begins talking about seeing a glimmering girl in his room, and Kayla has felt a cold presence and had objects moved around in her room. After a party at her house and a round with an Ouija board, a spiritual door was opened and Kayla begins to possess Colby in order to get what she wants, Jade to figure out who killed her. But it isn't just a mystery, it also has a bit of romance in it, with Jade feeling drawn to Donovan, Kayla's boyfriend, the last person who saw her alive, and who most people think killed her. The author did a good job throwing me off the trail of the killer, there were many possibilities. I have a real problem with impatience, so much so that I skip to the end of books and movies to know what happens. I know that this "ruins it" but I just can't wait. Sometimes it's to see if the book ends up how I thought it would, but in this case it was sheer curiosity. Overall, it was a good mix of genres and I liked it.

Now off to go see if I can try to find some space to sleep in this little bed of mine, with a dog and a cat already hogging up a large chunk of it, oy..

xo,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment