Thursday, January 3, 2013

Books 3 and 4

Hi there,

2 am post coming to you after finishing book four. I ended up reading book 3 late last night. I'm still on a college schedule and have trouble falling asleep before 2 or 3 am and then end up sleeping until noon, and still end up taking a nap..ah well. Hopefully I'll figure out how to get on a more normal sleep schedule soon.

Book 3: The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden


Author: Jessica Sorenson
Genre: New Adult/Romance
Series: Yes, 1 of 3
Pages: 296
Purchased or Borrowed: Purchased, Nook ebook
Date Read: January 2, 2013

3.5 stars
I was looking for a quick late night read and this book appeared to have a lot less pages because it was in ebook format. I wanted something romantic and easy, and that is not what I got. It was romantic, in its own sad way, but it was definitely not easy. Both main characters, Callie and Kayden, have serious issues. Kayden's dad is abusive, while Callie has been suffering since someone took advantage of her at the age of 12. Both have ways of taking their anger and pain out on themselves, so to me it was a miracle that they were even able to get together in the first place. Also, to me this relationship is hard to see in real life, which probably lowered my opinion of it. When I got to the end of the book, and was shocked. Not only by the "ending" that pretty much didn't exist and the major cliffhanger, as I didn't know that this was a series novel. Sometimes I just like reading a stand alone book, rather than having to keep up with a series. There is one sequel coming out next month, and a companion novel about Luke, Kayden's best friend. Even though the way the author ended the story irked me, I will have to get those just so that I can know what happened.

Book 4: Dark Storm



Author: Christine Feehan
Genre: Fantasy/Paranormal/Romance
Series: Yes, 23 of 23
Pages: 329
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library
Date Read: January 3, 2013

4 stars
I really love Christine Feehan, the author of this novel. I have read most of her books, and enjoy all of her series'. This book is from the Dark series about Carpathians, beings that are similar to vampires but do not turn into them unless they do not find their lifemate, the other half of their soul. I've read all of the previous installments, but I was very disappointed in the last novel, so I had some trepidation as I was starting this one. Also, I didn't know either of the main characters, Dax and Riley. Part of the reason that I'm able to read a series this long is that I wait for each of the Carpathians to have their own novel, find their lifemate, and hear their story. However, I was pleasantly surprised by this novel. I liked both Dax and Riley and found that they were a good pairing. I liked that they both had new abilities that hadn't been introduced in the series thus far and were very interesting to read about. And the villian, the vampire Mitro was sufficiently evasive and very evil. But of course, good always wins in the end :)

Hmm, still not tired..definitely need to work on this. Especially since I have 11 more books waiting for me at the library, several stacks by my bed and a large queue on my Nook. Yikes. Thank goodness I love reading, otherwise this would be a crazy task..it probably still is. Oh well, I like a challenge ;)

xo,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment