Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Books 30, 31, and 32 from today and yesterday

Day 21:

Well, my mom and I had an amazing time on our trip! Our room was gorgeous, and so was the rest of the inn, I got to see my Ravens advance to the Super Bowl, introduced my mom to the Princess Bride movie and I read the book that our room was based on! The library in the inn was amazing, filled with a good mixture of classics and contemporaries and I can't wait to stay there again and find something new to read. I'll post some pictures of our adventure soon!

Also, it occurs to me (a little late I might add) that I never really explained my rating system. One star is the worst and five is the best, but what exactly do those mean to me?

1 star: I just plan did not like it. I'm lucky I made it through this book in the first place.
2 stars: It was okay. There was something about this book that was off or really bothered me. In some cases the potential for better may have been there and was not capitalized on.
3 stars: I liked this book. It may not have been anything crazy special, but it was an easy, nice read. Anything 3 stars and above is good for me.
4 stars: I really liked this book. But something may be missing for me to not give it 5 stars or maybe I'm just getting a bit stingy with my 5 star ratings haha.
5 stars: It was amazing, one of my new favorite books. It will be something that will stick with me for awhile.
Anything in the middle: For me it may have fallen in between two of these categories, 2.5 stars is better than 2, and there had to have been some quality that pushed me towards the middle.


Book 30: The Princess Bride



Author: William Goldman
Genre: Fantasy, Classics
Pages: 398
Series: No, but there is a brief sequel included in the most recent printing
Purchased or borrowed: Borrowed from the Boonsboro Inn
Date Read: January 20, 2013

4 stars
While searching for more classic books a few weeks ago, I came across this one and dismissed it out of hand. I'm not really sure why I thought that this one wouldn't be worth reading, because it absolutely was. We stayed in the Westley and Buttercup suite at the Boonsboro Inn and I thought it would be fitting to read the book that our room was based upon, and because I loved the movie, I definitely wanted to be able to compare the book to it. The story is told by William Goldman, an author who loved hearing his father read Princess Bride to him as a 10-year-old. So when his own son turns 10 he seeks out a copy of the book for him only to find out that his dad had only told him the "good parts" version, leaving out all of the boring parts. This starts him on his journey to print the good parts version of the story of Westley and Buttercup, full of adventure and romance. It was a longish read, but it flew by because the story was so engaging. I'm definitely glad that I changed my mind and decided to read it.

Book 31: Rootless



Author: Chris Howard
Genre: Science Fiction
Pages: 336
Series: Not sure, but as far as I can tell no
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library
Date Read: January 21, 2013

3 stars
This book is about a tree builder named Banyan. It is a post-apocalyptic society where there are no more trees, plants, animals, or paper. After the Darkness, the moon is now a lot closer, the tides are messed up and are continually eroding the Earth and sand/dirt storms are the normal. So Banyan builds metal trees and landscapes with his father, until his dad is kidnapped. Banyan takes a new job where the owners daughter drops a picture, one with real trees, and his father chained to them. Banyan sets out to find his father and the trees and has quite a time on the way. Surprisingly enough, I really enjoy post-apocalyptic books, considering I can not watch a movie and hate thinking about the end of the world. This was an interesting and different premise than most that I have read, if a bit environmental. I liked it, I just didn't love it.

Book 32: Eve and Adam



Authors: Michael Grant and Katherine Applegate
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction
Pages: 291
Series: No
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library
Date Read: January 21, 2013

3.5 stars
Evening Spiker, or Eve, was in a terrible car crash where her leg was nearly lost. She wakes up in the hospital feeling a bit hazy and is suddenly rushed off by a strange boy named Solo to her mom's billion dollar research facility where she begins to heal. However, she soon becomes bored and so her mom tasks her to make the perfect simulated man, Adam. But there is a lot more to her fast healing, the facility and her project than she knows and Solo is the one who begins to figure things out. This was a very neat idea for a book considering the topic of genetic engineering and cloning. If you could change things about yourself, make a copy of someone you loved and lost, cure diseases, and choose the qualities, appearance, and age of someone, would you? There are a lot of people that would, and this book investigates the possible downsides when scientists go against their ethics in the name of "science" while still keeping everything interesting and fun. 

Mkay, it's time for me to go to sleep, as I'm going back to school tomorrow to visit my friends. Yay! I can't wait to see everyone, so any reading will probably get done in the late evening if there is time/if I'm not too tired. 


xo,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment