Friday, February 1, 2013

Book 42

Day 32:

Well, I was in College Park for most of the day and then was busy this evening prepping for Super Bowl food and preparing for my trip to Salisbury this weekend. So again, I will not be able to read this weekend, or next weekend, as I will be celebrating my Little in the sorority, Emily's birthday in College Park. But I did find a little time today to work on the book I began yesterday.

Book 42: 50 Great Myths of Popular Psychology


Authors: Scott O. Lilienfeld, Steven Jay Lynn, John Ruscio, and Barry L. Beyerstein
Genre: Psychology, Nonfiction
Pages: 258
Series: No
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library through Marina
Date Read: February 2, 2013

4 stars
This book's purpose was in the name, to debunk popular psychology myths, such as opposites attract and that some people are left-brained while others are right-brained. Unfortunately many people believe these myths as they spread through word of mouth and inaccurate media portrayals. This book thoroughly explains each myth, how it is often portrayed and why people might choose to believe it. Then they take the flip side and describe and cite the scientific research that has disproved these commonly held beliefs. I did know a lot of them, which is apparently a good indication for my Psychology degree as the book states that many people in the field even believe these to some extent. The book was informative and described the psychology jargon in a way that was easy to read for someone who is not in the psychology field, but it did read a bit dry.

Now, it's time for some rest because I have a three hour drive ahead of me in the morning. And as it is now after 2am,
Happy 21st Birthday Little!! :)

xo,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment