Thursday, February 14, 2013

Books 50 and 51

Day 44

Still trying to recover from being sick. Yesterday I made my first venture outside the house in a few days to do some errands as I had finally begun to feel better, only to become completely exhausted. So it was back to resting for me. The past few weeks I've been reading a bit slower than I would normally like, even though I'm still ahead of the game but I feel the need to pick up the pace a little.

Book 50: Lolita



Author: Vladimir Nabokov
Genre: Classics
Pages: 309
Series: No
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library
Date Read: February 13, 2013

2 stars
Lolita is the story of Humbert Humbert's obsessive passion for the 12-year-old nymphet Dolores Haze, who he calls Lolita. Nymphets are young girls between the ages of 9 and 14 that possess certain qualities such a small firm body, high cheekbones and a childish smile. Humbert's childhood love died when they were 13 and since then he has been drawn to the nymphets. After a failed first marriage, Humbert arrives at the Haze residence where he is to stay as a lodger. It is there where he meets his Lolita and falls in love with. After also learning of her mother's love for him, he decides to marry her in an effort to stay close to her, now effectively becoming Lolita's father figure. He becomes possessive and controlling of Lolita determined to keep her for his own.

So, this book was weird. There's no other real way to describe it. The author tries to get the reader to see Humbert in a more positive light, but his character is an unreliable narrator and it became difficult for me to see him as anything more than a pervert and a rapist. The book was told in two parts, and I enjoyed the first part but the second part for me just seemed to drag on and not really be closely related to the plot at hand that was presented in the beginning. I also felt like the prose itself was particularly wordy, with run-on sentence and superfluous word usage which made getting through the book very slow going. The wording felt distracting to me. I suppose it is challenging to make a story of an old man's obsession for a child appealing, but I could not handle it.


Book 51: The False Prince


Author: Jennifer A. Nielsen
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult
Pages: 342
Series: Yes, Book 1 of 3. Book 2 will be released on March 1st (yay!)
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library
Date Read: February 13, 2013

5 stars
To unify the kingdom of Carthya a nobleman named Connor divises a plan to install an impersonator of the king's long-lost son Jaron on the throne. Jaron went missing after being attacked at sea by pirates and presumed dead. Four orphans collected from orphanages for their resemblances to Prince Jaron are forced to compete for the role, or die because they know too much of Connor's plan. Sage is defiant but clever, characteristics that were prized in Jaron. He must hope that those qualities will help him to win the role of prince, but as Sage and the others move into the palace layers of lies begin to unfold until a shocking truth is revealed that will change everything. 

Trying to hold back my gushing..but I feel it will be hard. I LOVED this book! It was wonderful. It has been a little bit since I have stayed up this late truly because I could not put the book down and not to just try and finish it. The author did a splendid job with her writing and I can honestly say that I really enjoyed the ending. I can't wait to read book 2, I would definitely recommend this!

Now, since it is actually 5am, good grief, I need to sleep as my Dad will be waking up in like 10 minutes haha :)

xo,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment