Monday, February 18, 2013

Book 52

Day 49

I'm back! After a lovely weekend in Salisbury with my boyfriend I have returned home and begun to read again. The book that I'm writing about today I actually finished on Friday but didn't have time to post about it before I drove down. I'm about three quarters of the way through another book but I'm getting sick (again, my immune system must be shitty) and am going to rest instead so I can power through a few books tomorrow.

Book 52: Every Day

Author: David Levithan
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Fantasy
Pages: 324
Series: No
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library
Date Read: February 15, 2013

2 stars
Every day A wakes up in a different body with no warning of who or where he is. This has been happening as long as he remembers. The only qualifications are that the body be the same age as him, gender is irrelevant. A tries to not get attached, avoid notice and to not interfere with anyone's lives. That is until A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets his girlfriend Rhiannon. He begins to fall for her, and does not abide by his rules because he finally has found someone who he wants to be with. A struggles to find a way to be with her, to separate her from her relationship with Justin, and determine if he can stay with her. A subplot deals with Nathan, a host that remembers that A has possessed him and begins spreading the news that he was possessed by the devil. Each chapter also deals to some extent with each of A's hosts and their problems.

I thought the premise of this book was really interesting, but it did not live up to my expectations for it. It was definitely hard to sympathize with A considering that once he meets and falls for Rhiannon he cares little for his hosts and their own lives, routinely screwing things up for them. A is supposed to be genderless, but to me the character always read as a he. He expected that Rhiannon should care for him and act the same in any of his bodies, including continuing their romantic relationship when A was in the body of a female host. It really bothered me that the character didn't seem understanding of that hang up, or that he thought that they could continue to be together while he continued to possess others' bodies even though it was evident that Rhiannon was beginning to realize that they could never have a real relationship. There were just several qualities about A that really bothered me and made it difficult for me to really like this book.

Time for more rest, and then the rest of the week I need to start banging out books :)

xo,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment