Thursday, February 7, 2013

Book 46

Day 38

Here I am at the end of another week, and I am still sick. My throat is sore that I have been pretty miserable and much more concerned with getting some rest and getting better than reading late into the night. So last night I decided to go to bed instead of finishing my book and I'm choosing to do the same tonight even though I'm about halfway through my second book. I just don't think I can make it and I have a big weekend ahead of me celebrating my Little's birthday. I'm hoping I can power through the sickness that seems to be getting everyone down this time of year.

Book 46: Ender's Game


Author: Orson Scott Card
Genre: Science Fiction
Pages: 324
Series: Yes, 1 of 4 as well as a companion series
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library
Date Read: February 7, 2013

4 stars
Ender Wiggin is six-years-old when he is taken from his family to attend Battle School, an elite training academy for children in the efforts against the aliens in the next Bugger War. Ender is an exceptionally bright child and a brilliant strategist and commander. He moves quickly up the ranks and is promoted earlier than any child before him, but yet he retains his humanity even as they leave him isolated from others. The ending was just downright shocking.

I first heard of this book many moons ago when I read an excerpt in the seventh grade. Back then, I did not like it but I heard that there was a movie coming out and I wanted to give the whole book a shot. I was pleasantly surprised. I found that I really enjoyed the book. You could truly experience the heavy weight that they were putting on Ender's shoulders to command their troops when he was such a young boy. I'm not big on surprises as a general rule, mainly because I am usually too impatient to handle them, but the ending to this book was a definite surprise. I think this was primarily because I didn't think that that was how the author would handle things, but it definitely made them more interesting. I am kind of intrigued to see where the other books in this series will take him.

Now time for more rest.
xo,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment