Saturday, February 9, 2013

Book 47

Day 40:

I had a great time in College Park, but ended up coming back a little earlier in the weekend so I had some time to read tonight. I am unfortunately still sick and my cough makes me sound like a seal. I finished one book tonight, started a second one only to decide that it wasn't worth continuing. I found the book at B&N and it seemed kind of interesting so I thought I would try it, but it wasn't my thing. You never know unless you try, and sometimes I find some amazing reads.

Book 47: The Catcher in the Rye


Author: J.D. Salinger
Genre: Classics
Pages: 214
Series: No
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library
Date Read: February 9, 2013

3 stars

This book is about Holden Caulfield, a 16-year-old who gets kicked out of his third school because he has failed nearly everything. He leaves the school and is too afraid of his parents' reactions to his flunking out to return home early, so he wanders around New York City trying to pass the time until he is expected home a few days later. The story basically progresses in this manner talking of his experiences in the city.

The reviews of this book seemed to be all over the place. Some people loved it, while others hated it. To me it was just mediocre. I think it might have been because there was something about Holden that fundamentally bothered me, especially with the way he talked. The book was written in what felt like a stream of consciousness style where every single thought he had, no matter how relevant was recorded even though Holden was telling the story from a future point in time. Most of the thoughts were really not relevant to the  plot and so it felt like he was going around in a giant tangent. However, you can also see that the narrator is becoming very aimless and depressed and is not sure what to do about it. The writing though was clear and it was a pretty fast read for a classic.

xo,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment