Wednesday, May 1, 2013

I read a book today! Books 66 and 67

Well, hello there! Long time no see. It's been pretty much impossible for me to read as of late because I started my new job and have had to adjust to a new schedule. Also I was in a phase where I just wasn't feeling like reading. I know now that I'm quite a bit behind but I just figure that I'll read when I can and see how many books I get done. I did read one a few weeks ago but never got around to posting about it, and I read another tonight on my day off.

Book 66: Too Scared to Cry: Psychic Trauma in Childhood



Author: Dr. Lenore Terr
Genre: Psychology, Non-fiction
Pages: 384
Series: No
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library

4 stars

A fascinating read about psychic trauma in children. Children are considered by most people to be resilient in times of stress and trauma, however, evidence and examples show that their early experiences greatly influence their later lives.

Book 67: 



Author: Emily Murdoch
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Pages: 256
Series: No
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library
Date Read: May 1, 2013

3.5 stars
This is the story of Carey, a 14-year-old girl who lives in the woods with her selectively mute younger sister Jenessa after her mother abandoned them, until her father comes for her. Carey's mother, an abusive addict had kidnapped her and hid her in the woods when she was little. This is the story of their adjustment and learning how to let others in.

I thought the premise of the kidnapping and Nessa's mutism was very interesting, but there were a few things that bothered me. I didn't feel much tie to Carey's character, she felt very blunted to me. Also I felt that there were a lot of loose ends that were not concluded with no evidence of a sequel which was kind of irritating. Otherwise, it was a simple and interesting read.

Now, maybe some more reading now that I'm back in the zone and don't have to work until tomorrow night!
xo,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment