Sunday, March 24, 2013

Back, again, books 61-64

So, I've been slacking. That is for sure. I'm quite a bit behind, but not so far that I can't make it up. There have been a number of things that have helped to put me behind schedule. First it was my several illnesses, then my trip to Florida, and then it was my boyfriend's spring break, and now here we are and I'm sick again. But I do want to be able to do this even though it is definitely harder than I thought it would be, and harder than it seemed to me in the beginning. Lately I just haven't felt like reading, sometimes you want that solitary time, and other times all you want is to spend some time with people you love and do things other than sitting down and reading a book. That is where I've been lately. I'm finally back and writing about the books that I did read while in Florida. I will be back on the reading grind starting tomorrow!

Book 61: The Sword in the Stone

Author: T.H. White
Pages: 352
Genre: Fantasy, Classics
Series: Yes, book 1 of 5
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library

3.5 stars
This is the classic story of the young King Arthur, known for most of the story as Wart. It tells of his adventures with Kay, Merlin, and Robin Hood, as well as dangerous encounters with Madam Mim and animals ready to eat him.

I was initially drawn to this story because of the beloved Disney classic. However, I am aware that many of Disney's movies are not told true to the originals so I was interested to see how this one would match up. I enjoyed Wart's adventures and thought surprisingly that the Disney version worked well, as the book was a bit long winded and near the end felt as if it was dragging on. Though I really did enjoy Wart and Kay's adventures with Robin Wood, known to many as Robin Hood. It was an interesting story crossover that I felt worked.


Book 62: Unravel Me


Author: Tahereh Mafi
Pages: 461
Genre: Science Fiction, Young Adult
Series: Yes, book 2 of 3. Book 3 is not yet released.
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library

3 stars
Juliette was born with the ability to kill using only her touch. Unfortunately this keeps her from creating bonds with others, so she feels very isolated and alone. There are only two people that can touch her, Adam, the man she loves who is suddenly acting very odd after finding out that this ability to touch her drains him, and Warner, the leader of the Reestablishments son who is not a good person but still deeply cares for Juliette. They have all come to Omega Point, a home for people with gifts as they prepare to fight back to try and regain the world from the Reestablishment.

This books is basically about Juliette's decision between two men, the one she loves but touching her hurts him, and the one she is drawn to despite all he has done. I think that an important quality in a book is relatable characters. Juliette did not feel relatable. In fact, she came off as sulky, whining and a bit irritating. I understand that she is in a very tough spot, but it still did not make me like her more.

Book 63: The Runaway King


Author: Jennifer A. Nielsen
Pages: 352
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult
Series: Yes, book 2 of 3. Book 3 is not yet released.
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library

4 stars
Only weeks after Jaron has taken the throne an assassination attempt by a former friend and rumblings of war force Jaron into hiding as the only way to save Carthya. Hiding is a bit different for Jaron as he masquerades as a thief in order to get in with the pirates who still have a price on his head after failing to kill him four years ago, and who plan to help his enemy with his tidings for war. Jaron hopes to persuade them to fight for him, but he is in a very dangerous position as many people want him dead, even those that may seem friendly.

This was a very good second installment in this trilogy. I loved the first book and in my opinion the middle book is always challenging as it is generally coming off a well received first installment and must set up for the ending in the third book. This book was good and I enjoyed the characters and change of scenery but at times it definitely felt like it was mainly there to lead into book three.


Book 64: Becoming Attached: First Relationships and How they Shape our Capacity to Love


Author: Dr. Robert Karen
Pages: 512
Genre: Psychology
Series: No
Purchased or Borrowed: Borrowed from the library

4 stars
The parent-child bond is one of the most important relationships in life and one that goes on to shape our future. Dr. Karen examines important aspects of attachment, such as how the theory was developed as well as important characteristics and questions that relate to it.

This book was very important as attachment is a guiding and pervasive characteristic throughout life. I found this reading especially interesting as child psychology is my field of choice and their emotional development is key when seeing problems in a child. It read a little dry at times but I feel that he tried to make the information interesting and accessible to all.

And now it is time for bed and to get rid of this sickness!

xo,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment